3-year programme (One year of coursework and two years of dissertation exercise)
HELP Subang 2
Level of Study:
Faculty of Behavioral Sciences
[MQA/PA13817] [MOHE CODE: N/140/8/0027]
About this course
HELP University offers the Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) Education (Mixed-Mode) programme beginning August 2020. This aim of this programme is to provide learners with a comprehensive coursework cum research study. Learners will develop a deep understanding of both subject specialisation and research in one of the three disciplines, i.e. i. Educational Management, ii. Early Childhood Education, and iii. Teaching of English as a Second Language.
As this programme is conducted on a mixed-mode basis, the first part of the programme focuses on direct instruction to facilitate the mastery of research skills and subject specialisation skills necessary to progress to the next phase of study which is the research dissertation component. With the advantage of content-mastery and research, learners will be prepared to become professional researchers cum subject-matter specialists. The expertise to be gained from this programme can be applied in a variety of job-placements such as universities, colleges, education departments, schools or any institutions offering education programmes.
During the coursework phase, learners will undergo face-to-face teaching and learning interactions with facilitators and fellow learners. The coursework phase culminates with the preparation of the Concept Paper which serves as bridge between theory and practice and prepares learners with appropriate competencies for the next phase of the study programme – the dissertation phase. Seminars and workshops will be organised from time to time to facilitate learners with knowledge and skills needed to complete their dissertations.
Compulsory & Elective Courses
The coursework phase comprises 6 courses totalling 24 credit hours and the dissertation phase comprises 56 credit hours (coursework to dissertation ratio: 30:70) incorporating the following aspects:
- Two compulsory subjects;
- Two specialisation subjects
- One elective; and
Subject Listing (Year 1)
Subject Specialisation: Educational Management
- PHD 7030 Educational Management and Leadership
- PHD 7040 Management of Educational Change
Subject Specialisation: Early Childhood Education
- PHD 7050 Theories and Practices of Early Childhood Education
- PHD 7060 Child Development
Subject Specialisation: Teaching of English as a Second Language (TESL)
- PHD 7070 Second Language Teaching Methodology and Learning
- PHD 7080 Second Language Acquisition
The elective subject will be chosen from any one of the subject specialisations. For example, if a learner’s subject specialisation is Educational Management, then the elective subject can be selected from either Early Childhood Education or Teaching of English as a Second Language.
Programme Fee: New Program Promotion – Bursary 50% of Tuition fee
Types of Fee
- Applicant must fulfill one of the following: Master’s degree in Education OR
- Master’s degree other than Education and possess a Bachelor’s degree in Education; OR
- Master’s degree other than Education and possess a Diploma/Certificate in Teaching; OR
- Master’s degree other than Education and possess at least 2 years of teaching experience; OR
- Master’s degree other than Education and pass three (3) bridging courses offered by HELP University; OR
- Any equivalent qualifications recognised by the Malaysian Government
- IELTS Band 5.5 Academic; or
- TOEFL 550 (Paper-Based)
Why Psychology @ HELP?
- Largest Asian Undergraduate Psychology Programme
- Distinguished Academics
- Strong Research Culture